The World Breaks Everyone



"The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong at the broken places."
- Ernest Hemingway, A Farewell to Arms



That was my favorite line from Hemingway's A Farewell to Arms that I bought two months ago in a second-hand bookshop in Munich. I started to think that everything will eventually break everyone; we've seen the news of attacks, tragedies, people dying, and heartbreaking pictures everywhere. "What's wrong with the world?" seems to be an unanswered question. We're busy blaming and accusing each other, we take our shredded hearts to hatred and anger, we forget that somehow, sometimes, we need to stop, we need to cut and we need to start it from ourselves.

Broken hearts are prone to hatred and anger but I believe feeling pain is absolutely not equal to hurt someone back or to hurt oneself, for whatever reason. Hatred is dangerous, once it has taken a root in a heart, then it will continue to grow, bigger and stronger.

Cut it out.

As for me, I chose to go on with life, to cut myself out from the love that turned out to hurt me the most, from a man that I love. To delete, to remove things related to this unavailing love just because I don't want to grow hatred, cause I know no one deserves to get hate, no one, including him.

Every pain should come with newfound perspectives. To get better understanding that if one part was broken, then another would get stronger though it takes time. We should be okay with that, I'm okay with that.

and I think it's where the peace begins -- with each of us being peaceful, isn't it?



1 comment:

Unknown said...

Kamu yang naksir kan banyak jugaaaaa gak usah dipikirin yang kayak gituu hihi. Tetaplah membuat kami bangga ya as always :') miss you sayang!