Dear daughter, yes, your mom does solo travel


Dear Rinjani,

I just got back from my solo travel to Croatia. Yes, I do solo travel if you're wondering. It's been long time since the last time I did my solo travel. I remember that time when I just booked my flight from Jakarta to Kinabalu then few days later, I received my Letter of Acceptance from the university I'm studying at now. I changed my mind and canceled my flight, I've never been to Kinabalu since then.


I was about to read my Sputnik Sweetheart when a girl came to me asking for a seat beside me on the bus with familiar English accent.

"She's not German." I murmured

Our almost-7-hours journey from Munich to Zagreb wasn't boring at all as we talked a lot of things. She's from Montreal and she's younger than me but our wanderlust seemed to connect us in a fun flowing conversation. You know, I'm always into that kind of conversation. 

We spent few hours in Zagreb together checking off those must-visit-places in the city (thanks to her Lonely Planet), strolling around the downtown, having pancakes, and so on. Later on the night she invited me to go out for a drink but I decided to stay at my hostel as I had to catch my bus very early in the morning.

The next day, I had a fun trekking time at the Plitvice National Park. Yes, another check off of my bucket list. I almost expected to see those fairies coming out from the lakes, flying above the canopy and waterfalls. I could write here all beautiful things I've seen there, but no, you have to prove it by yourself someday. I'm lucky enough to have been there.



There are many routes you can choose there depends on what you really wanna see (and how comfortable you are walking on the long hilly pathways), I chose the longest one and walked along the way, ventured off the trail (but still safe, trust me). I hiked up the hill out of the recommended routes while everyone was too busy taking pictures and I'm glad I did as the view up there was stunning with less crowd.

R, don't put off your dream just because you're alone, if you feel you must go, then go, wait for no one. People might ask you tons of questions of why you do solo travel: "Aren't you lonely?", "Did you just break up with your boyfriend?" or even worse, some guys might be looking at you as if you're their next target, but don't freak out, everything will be fine. It's just because solo travel isn't for everyone.

I don't have all the reasons of why one should do solo travel. All I know, if I hadn't stopped waiting, I'd never discover the other side of myself: that I'm pretty strict on my budget, that I can do a selfie, that I can befriend with strangers, that I like observing people, that I'm not perfect, that the only person I can truly depend on is myself. 

It's a way to more appreciate what's already left behind, it's a way to appreciate home, or someone to call home. 

So, someday if you feel like it, then go, because I did.


Love,

F

No comments: