To Travel, To Come Back Home

I long, as does every human being, to be at home wherever I find myself.

Back in few years ago, I was a fussy kid who always ask why my father was rarely at home. When I had to undergo my first national exam, he was in site, somewhere far away from our home. I cried because I missed him. I can't really wait for him to come back home, to hug me, to kiss me before school yet the fact was I had to wait for months just to feel his warmest hug.

To be with him at home is one of precious moments in my life, even until now. 

As I entered another life's phase, I met some friends along the way. I remember how my friend, Nungky missed her boyfriend in Papua or how Puty wrote a line or two about "home" in her blog, between her workload in rig. I remember, how Mas Adi, our hydrogeologist missed her wife and his son while he was in site, how he answered to his wife "I'm fine, baby. How are you?"

I survived in some places, from Bandung to Kalimantan, from Bali to Bangkok, from seas to mountains. I enjoyed it and I know, I'm lucky, but there was a time when I felt I wanna go home, always. Then suddenly all were flat, all were cold. 

If something, my job as field engineer has successfully taught me, it must be about these; the distance and feeling home. The family, old friends, boyfriend, pillow on own bed, a laughter, giggles, a smell of petrichor, whatever and whoever you think of as your home.

Now I know, Dad, good luck to me, to you, and see you on the other side of the world,

and I miss you, you my home.

No comments: